"Thanks for making it so easy" - Graham Norton
If you're in a hurry, here's a quick summary of the skills and experience I can offer. If you have more time, feel free to continue to the backstory below.
- Ethical responsibility - This is one of the most important considerations in documentary and photojournalism particularly when working with children. As a qualified teacher I'm DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) cleared with an enhanced certificate (details available upon request).
- I'm also aware of the importance of safeguarding and extend this to curating work carefully which involves avoiding general stock agencies and the potential for subsequent misuse. I would rather archive work after it's original use than chase a few bucks and risk misappropriation.
- Location - I live in Bedford but spend much of my time working in London.
- Experience - Trained at the London College of Communication where I gained a Postgraduate Diploma in Photojournalism. I have 23 years professional experience behind me rooted in photojournalism/ documentary but also includes editorial and commercial photography with a particular strength in portraits.
- Confidence - Proven track record producing high quality content with a strong narrative. Very comfortable working with different types of people, from Chief Execs through to the dispossessed.
- Directing Skills - I'm a people person and good at making people feel relaxed. I'm not afraid to direct when and as necessary and appropriate to the circumstances and genre.
- Understanding Design & Layout - I have a nerdy interest in design and layout and feel euphoric when I see great design and a beautiful marriage between pictures and text. I respect designers and like to keep them happy.
- Style - Creative, clean, bold and colourful.
- Reliability - I haven’t missed a deadline or shoot yet!
Tel: +44 7970 11 7272
Photography for me is so much more than just a profession. It defines who I am and has been so significant in my self-development. It’s made sense of my past and continues to shape my future. It’s introduced me to some amazing people and shown me places I could only have imagined.
As a kid growing up I had no idea what I wanted to do. The world fascinated me and I was curious about how things worked. Often, I would take things apart and put them back together again, tweaking this and breaking that. It was fun. I loved to use my imagination and make things. Unknown to me at the time but this served as a very good technical and creative foundation for my photography.
I bought myself a camera sometime in my 20s and started making pictures of friends and family. They got fed up of being regularly photographed and I too wanted more. One day, I ended up in London where a bunch of people decided to protest against a government tax. That later became known as the Poll Tax riots. It was here that I found my voice and discovered my passion.
I decided to learn more about photography and went to the University of the Arts London where I gained a Postgraduate Diploma in Photojournalism. I went on to get a job as a staff photographer but after 4 years I was made redundant. I went freelance and grew my photography and made pictures of a whole new bunch of people - some captains of industry, some celebrities, others with very little and some homeless.
I returned to the University of the Arts London to teach Photojournalism part-time. Fuelled by passion and inspired by creativity my course became hugely popular and was often oversubscribed. It was a great privilege to help inspire a new generation of creatives - Cartier-Bresson would be proud! After 10 years of increasing teaching demands I have decided to return to what I enjoy most - being a photographer.
I can bring a wealth of experience to your projects and can channel all my efforts to ensuring the very best photographic output for you or your clients. I am not geographically challenged and quite happy to go to where the work takes me. I'm just as comfortable working with available light or electronic flash, on location or in the studio.
Tel: +44 7970 11 7272